CHARLES LOUIS MCINTYRE

line

CHARLES LOUIS MCINTYRE was educated in the public schools of Allegheny City, Pa. He started in life for himself in the spring of 1876, going to California to see his Uncle William Robertson. He was in Colusa county, Cal., about one year, and from there went to Ogden, Utah, being in the employ of the Central Pacific Railroad and the Atlantic and Pacific Telegraph Companies. During his time he was mostly located at Ogden, Utal. In 1878 he went to work for the Standard Oil Company, and was located at Bradford, Pa. In 1880 he was in the employ of the Pennsylvania Company, in the operating department west of Pittsburgh, Pa. During this time he was located at Bellevue. Allegheny Co., Pa. He resigned his postion with the railroad company in 1890, and until 1895 was in the builders' supply business, heavy hauling, grading, etc. He did most of the work in the grading and paving of the first two streets in Bellevue, Pa. He sold out his business in 1895 and bought the place known as the Clarles Saltmer farm, in South Buffalo township, remaining there until 1903, at which time he sold the property. Since that time he and his wife have made their home with Mrs. Dee Bush (widow of Jeremiah Bush) and her daughter Frances A. Bush.

Mr. McIntyre still owns about five hundred acres of coal and lands in fee in South Buffalo township, and is the largest single taxpayer in the township. He has for several years back held the position of general land agent for the Pittsburgh & Shawmut Railroad Company, with headquarters at Kittanning, Pa. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, a life member of St. John's Blue Lodge, No. 219, of Pittsburgh, Pa., of Allegheny Chapter, No. 239, and of Allegheny Commandery, No. 35, of Allegheny City, Pa.; also a member of Coudersport Consistory, of Coudersport, Pa., and of Syria Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., of Pittsburgh.

On Dec. 30, 1879, Mr. McIntyre married Maria K. Williams, of Bellevue, Pa., who was born May 3, 1857, at Freedom, Pa. She was the only surviving child of Henry and Sarah (Rogers) Williams. Her father was born in Baltimore, Md., July 9, 1812. He was a charter member of Baltimore Lodge, No. 1, I.O.O.F., the first lodge of Odd Fellows established in the United States. As a young man he located in Pittsburgh, Pa. He learned the bookbinder's trade, was in the grocery business, and was also postmaster of Bellevue, Allegheny Co., Pa., where he resided until his death, which occurred March 24, 1890. On Dec. 21, 1837, he married Sarah Rogers, who was born in Wales Oct. 12, 1817, and came to the United States with her parents when thirteen years old, her parents locating on the South Side, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Her father was a glass worker by trade. In 1836 he purchased in South Buffalo township 250 acres of land, upon which he built a large comfortable brick house, in which he lived until his death, at the age of eighty-four years. His wife lived the latter years of her life with her daughter, Sarah (Rogers) Williams, in Bellevue, Pa., and died there at the age of 102 years. Mrs. McIntyre's father was a great worker in the M.E. Church, a man well known and highly respected for his integrity and Christian character. Her mother, Sarah (Rogers) Williams died march 31, 1907, aged ninety years.

Two sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. McIntyre: (1) Harry Thompson born Nov. 25, 1880 at Glen Osborne, Pa., was educated in the Bellevue schools, and lived with his parents until about 1901. For several years he was a traveling salesman. In 1907 he went to Sabot, Goochland Co., Va., to take charge of a plantation owned by the late Col. W. Horace Rose, of Johnstown, Pa., and is still making his home there with Forest Rose, the present owner of the property. (2) Richard Caughey was born in Bellevue, Pa., Dec. 16, 1883. He was educated at Bellevue, and remained with his parents until he was about eighteen years old. He spent three or four years in the northwest, and on coming back home went to work as a fireman on the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie railroad. He was promoted to the position of engineer while in the employ of this company. Resigning this position, he went to work for the Westinghouse Air Brake company, and was also for some time employed in the repair shops of the Union Railroad company. At present he holds the position of inspector of locomotives for the United States Steel Company. His office is in the Carnegie building, at Pittsburgh, Pa. He was married to Lydia Cochran, of Dawson, Pa., on Sept. 17, 1906, and two children were born to them, Mary L. and Virginia Rose. He is a thirty-second-degree Mason.

Mr. and Mrs. McIntyre are members of the M.E. Church, belonging to Rogers Chapel in South Buffalo township. Mrs. McIntyre has been president of the Ladies' Aid Society since it was started, is an earnest friend and president of the Epworth League, has filled the office of superintendent of the Sabbath school, and is an earnest, active worker in all bodies connected with her church.

Source: Page(s) 331-332,
Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914

Transcribed May 1998 by Sue Brosnahan for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project