John W McIntire

line.gif

JOHN W. McINTIRE, of Wayne township, Armstrong county, is engaged in farming and stock raising, having a fine place three miles west of Dayton. He has passed all his life in this district, having been born Jan. 23, 1858, at the old McIntire homestead near Echo, in Wayne township.

John McIntire, his grandfather, was of Scotch-Irish descent, and was a farmer by occupation. He removed to Armstrong county from Westmoreland county, Pa., and settled near Echo, purchasing a large farm to the cultivation of which he devoted the remainder of his life. His children were: John, who became a Methodist minister; Daniel S., father of John W. McIntire; Alexander, who died in Kansas; Altman, who died in Adams county, Ohio; Mary A., who married George McIntire, and died at Echo; and Catherine, who married John Wilson, and died in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania.

Daniel S. Mcintire, son of John McIntire, was born in Westmoreland county, near Latrobe, and came to Armstrong county with his parents. He followed farming in Wayne township throughout his active years, dying in 1893. He married Martha Lias, daughter of Peter Lias, and to this union were born the following children: Elsie J., born Feb. 27,1856, who died April 8, 1857; John W., born Jan. 23, 1858; Martin L., born Sept. 21, 1860; Emma R., born Feb. 5, 1863, who married Turney A. Troutman; Mary Ellen. born July 12, 1867, who died Dec. 26, 1877; and William D., born Jan. 23, 1871, who is living on the old homestead. The mother of this family died Dec. 10, 1878.

John W. McIntire began his education in the public schools of the home locality and later attended Dayton Union Academy. He was reared to farming from boyhood, and has followed it continuously, though for three winters during his young manhood he worked in the lumber woods in Elk county, Pa. He then devoted his time to general farming on the old homestead until his removal to his present home, in 1890, this being the old Martin Lias farm; before the latter's day it was the homestead of Peter Lias. It consists of 115 acres located about midway between Dayton and Echo, and is under excellent cultivation. Mr. McIntire has made a specialty of the breeding of registered Jersey cattle, Shropshire sheep and Poland China swine, as well as Ringlet Barred Plymouth Rock poultry, in the latter connection dealing extensively in eggs. He is conscientious, reliable man and has the confidence and respect of all who have had dealings with him. Though not identified with any political party, voting independently, he has been quite active in local politics and government, having served his township as auditor and tax collector.

On March 7, 1883, Mr. McIntire married Mary A. Schrecongost, daughter of John Henry and Sarah (Kline) Schrecongost, of Echo, Pa., and to them have been born six children: Blanche B., born March 21, 1884, is now the wife of A.A. Schrecongost; Ina Alice, born Feb. 7, 1887, is at home; Clair D., born Sept. 26,, 1891, at home; Charles R., born March 26, 1883, died in infancy; Herbert F., born April 25, 1894, and Miles M., born May 24, 1897, are at home.

Mr. McIntire is a prominent member of the M.E. Church at Echo and has always taken an active part in church work and enterprises. He is a local minister of his denomination, and for several years was very active in that capacity. He has served his church as class leader, trustee and superintendent of the Sunday school, still holding the latter office, which he has filled for many years.

Source: Pages 743-744, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed October 1998 by Rodney G Rosborough for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project