George A Marvin

line.gif

GEORGE A. MARVIN, farmer, resident in Gilpin township, Armstrong county, is one of the well-known men of his section. He was born on the family homestead, June 22, 1872, and is a son of Mark Marvin, grandson of Anthony Marvin, and great-grandson of Archibald Marvin.

The Marvin family of Armstrong county was founded in America by (l) Mathew Marvin, youngest son of Edward and Margaret Marvin. He was baptized in St. Mary�s church in Great Bentley, County of Essex, England, March 26, 1600. He was first married in 1622, this wife dying in Hartford, Conn., about 1640. In 1647 he married Alice Bonton, widow of John Bonton. On April 15, 1635, he sailed from London in the "Increase," and settled in Connecticut.

His son (ll) Mathew, by his first wife, was baptized Nov. 8, 1626, in St. Mary�s Church, Great Bentley, England, and died in 1712 in Norwalk, Conn. He came to America with his father in the "Increase," married about 1650, and left two sons, (lll) Samuel and John. (lV) Sergt. John Marvin, son of Samuel and Mary Marvin, was born Sept. 2, 1678, in Norwalk, Conn., and died in Sharon, Conn., on Feb. 9, 1774. On March 22, 1704 he was married to Mary, daughter of James Beers, Jr. He left at least one son, (V) Elihu Marvin, born Oct.10, 1719, in Norwalk, Conn, who died Aug. 14, 1803, at Blooming Grove, Orange county, N.Y.

 

His son, (Vl) Gen. Seth Marvin, was born Feb. 15, 1745, in Oxford, Orange county, N.Y., and married Polly Little, daughter of Archibald and Sarah Little of Oxford.

He was actively engaged in the Revolution. In 1775 he signed the Association Pledge in Orange county; in 1775-76 he was first Lieutenant of the Cornwall Minute-Men; later he was captain and lieutenant colonel, which commission he held until he was promoted to brigadier general, on March 29, 1806. He resided in Chester, then a part of Cornwall, in which place he died Aug. 25, 1815.

(Vll) Archibald Marvin, son of Gen. Seth Marvin, was born in 1775, and married Elizabeth Hawthorn, daughter of Colonel John and Elizabeth (Welling) Hawthorn of Warwick, N.Y., who was a member of the Goshen (N.Y.) committee of safety, a member of the First Congress of the United States and several times member of the New York State Assembly, of which body he was a speaker. In 1802 Archibald Marvin settled on land in Chemung county, N.Y., taken up by his father soon after the Revolution, and there he lived until his death, on August 26, 1825. It was his son Anthony who settled in Pennsylvania. Archibald Marvin�s children were as follows: Hector, who died on the old York State farm in 1873; John, who died in Illinois, in 1876; Welling, who died in New York; Anthony; Seth, who died on his farm adjoining the old homestead; and Julia, who died in New York, the wife of Robert Beckwith.

(Vlll) Anthony Marvin, son of Archibald and grandfather of George A. Marvin, was born on his father�s farm in New York in 1808. He learned the Blacksmith�s trade and followed the same until 1848, and probably to some extent all his life. In 1820 he came to Allegheny county, Pa., worked on the construction of the old Pennsylvania Canal, and afterward was engaged for some time in the manufacturing of salt. In 1860, he went to the oil fields, continuing in the oil business for many years, when he retired to Allegheny county, here he had purchased a small farm, on which his death occurred Dec. 11, 1881. He was buried at Tarentum, Pa., He married Margaret Eckman, of Westmoreland county, Pa., and they had five children, namely: Welling, who died at Tarentum; Elizabeth and Julia who reside at Tarentum; Mark; and John, who was accidentally drowned at Cape May, N.J. in 1876. He was a rising young lawyer, a member of the Allegheny county bar, and had been engaged in practice for several years.

(Xl) Mark Marvin, son of Anthony and father of George A. Marvin, was born in South Buffalo township, Armstrong county, Pa., July 12, 1839, and attended the district schools in early boyhood in what is now Gilpin township. In 1872 he came to the farm he still owns, the old Philip Klingsmith farm, located two and a half miles from Leechburg, Pa. The history of this farm can be traced as far back as 1789, and a warrant was received for it by Joshua Elder. It was surveyed by George Ross. Two adjoining tracts were taken up earlier, one in 1773 and the other in 1776.

 

On March 23, 1871, Mark Marvin was married to Elizabeth McKallip, a daughter of George W. McKallip, and they have the following children: George A., John H., Margaret J., Mary C. (wife of George Hazelett), Julia A., Charles McKallip, and Paul Shirley. When Allegheny township was separated into three townships, in 1878, Mr. Marvin was one of the workers for this desirable division. He belongs to the Presbyterian Church.

(X) George A. Marvin was educated in the public schools and at the Leechburg high school. He has been more or less associated with his father in business and has always resided at home.

Source: Pages 906 - 907 , Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed February 1999 by Nanci Michalkiewicz for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project