John H Lasher

line.gif

JOHN H. LASHER, of Kittanning, painter and decorator, has been successfully engaged in that business in the borough for several years. He is a native of Washington township, this county, where the family has been established for several generations.

Benjamin Lasher, great-grandfather of John H. Lasher, came from east of the mountains and settled in what is now Washington township, Armstrong county, among the pioneers in that region. He owned about four hundred acres of land and there he passed the remainder of his life. He was married before his removal to the county.

Abram Lasher, second child of Benjamin, was born east of the mountains, and passed practically all of his life in Washington township. He received a common school education and followed farming all his life, becoming the owner of over two hundred acres in Washington township, where he settled after his marriage, and where he and his family made many improvements. He built a shop on the farm for blacksmithing and wagon repair work, in which he engaged until obliged to retire because of old age. He married Margaret Gould, a native of Madison township, this county, and to them were born a family of eight children, namely: Benjamin, Daniel, Abe, George, Nick, Johnston, William and Wyland, the last named now being the only survivor. The father died aged seventy-seven years, six months, fourteen days, the mother aged seventy-five years. both passing away on the farm and they are interred in the Limestone cemetery on that property. Mr. Lasher was a member of the Church of God. In politics he was a Republican, and actively interested in the success of the party, though he never held any offices. Upon his death his son William inherited that part of the old homestead upon which the residence and buildings were located.

Wyland Lasher, son of Abram, was born March 4, 1850, in Washington township, Armstrong county, where he passed all of his active years. He received his education in the public schools there. He assisted his father greatly in the improvement of the old homestead, and he received fifty-nine acres of the northern part of that property, situated one mile north of Montgomeryville, in Washington township, upon which he erected buildings and engaged in general farming on his own account. Agricultural work was always his principal occupation, and he lived on the home property for almost sixty-three years, in October, 1912, retiring and moving to Wickboro, Kittanning, where he and his wife now have a comfortable home at No. 1033 Orr avenue. Since that time he has visited the homestead weekly. He has always devoted all of his time to his own affairs, never taking any active part in public life or holding office. Politically he is an independent Republican, and his religious connection is with the Church of God.

Mr. Lasher married Catherine Frick, daughter of Abraham and Delilah (Bowser) Frick, and granddaughter of Michael Frick, the Fricks being of German descent. Michael Frick came to Armstrong county from Westmoreland county about 1840, and bought a large tract of land, which he farmed, at the same time following his trade of blacksmithing. In 1854 he moved to Butler county, Pa., where he died in 1863. He was a prominent member of the M. E. Church, often allowing the use of his home for services, and as class leader led the meetings himself many times. Abraham Frick, Mrs. Lasher�s father, was born in Butler county, Pa., and received his schooling there and in Armstrong county, becoming a well-known blacksmith of East Franklin township, this county, though he died at the early age of thirty-two years. He is buried at the Montgomeryville Baptist Church. His wife Delilah (Bowser), a native of Armstrong county, daughter of Abraham and Polly Bowser, died at the age of forty-five years. Mr. and Mrs. Frick had a family of six children, four sons and two daughters. Mr. and Mrs. Wyland Lasher became the parents of nine children, all born in Washington township, namely: A.J., who lives in that township, married Minnie Croyl, and their children are Alma, Raymond, Gladys, Bertha, Alfred, Emmet and ------------------; James, who lives at Oakmont, married Martha Robinson; Cora is the wife of Ernst Holsour, and they reside on North avenue in Wickboro; Minerva is the wife of Ed. Shaffer; William married Anna Pugh, and they live at Kittanning; John H. resides at Wickboro; Maud is the wife of Ambrose Bowser; Lemuel is unmarried; Loran married Mary England, and they reside at Kittanning.

John H. Lasher, son of Wyland, was born June 29, 1886, near Adrian, in Washington township, where he was reared, obtaining his education in the common schools. He then went to Pittsburgh, where he learned the trade of painter, remaining in that city for four years. Then, in August, 1907, he came to Kittanning, where he has since been engaged as a contractor, his business headquarters being in the Heilman building. He employs from three to seven men, as the work requires, and has done some of the best work in the borough, including the decorating in the Steim hotel, all the street car work, the work in the new M. E. Church, and other important local contracts. He also had the painting and decorating of the Haskell building in East Brady, Pa. Mr. Lasher is a member of the union, and has the only union shop in Kittanning.

On Nov. 2, 1911 Mr. Lasher married Margaret Truitt, and they live at No. 618 Woodward avenue, Wickboro, where Mr. Lasher has erected a fine brick residence. They have one child, Humes, who was born in 1912. Mr. and Mrs. Lasher attend the Reformed Church. He is a Republican in political questions, but not active in public affairs, and fraternally he belongs to the B. P. O. Elks and the Blue Lodge, F. & A. M., at Kittanning.

Osceola T. Truitt, father of Mrs. Lasher, was born March 5, 1866, in Madison township, son of George W. Truitt. The latter�s father was the pioneer family of this region, settling in Madison township, where George W. Truitt was born, one of a family of four children, namely: William, George W., David, and James. George W. Truitt followed farming in Madison township until his death. He was a Baptist in religion, and a Republican in politics. He married Nancy Courson, and they became the parents of three children: Seth C., Alcinus G., and N. M.

Seth C. Truitt was an active business man, following iron mining and lumbering for some time, and later became a merchant at Truittsburg, Clarion, Co., Pa., where he also was postmaster for years. He is still engaged in the business there. While a resident of Madison township, Armstrong county, he was engaged at ore digging and farming, moving thence to his present location. He married Mary Spangler, and they have had a family of seven children: Osceola T., Emery, Edward, Hoyt, Bruce, Elizabeth C., and Electa. The mother was a native of Center, Armstrong county, a daughter of Michael Spangler.

Osceola T. Truitt was but two years old when the family moved from Madison township, and he received his schooling in Clarion county. In his young manhood he taught school there for six terms, after which he became weighmaster for the coal mine at Fairmount, that county, for some time. He was next engaged as a street car conductor, after which he became employed at the Elk Brewery, where he is now assistant brewmaster. He is a member of the Order of Moose, at Kittanning, and on political questions is a Republican, but takes no part in party affairs. Mr. Truitt married Cora M. Humes, daughter of William and Margaret (Pemberton) Humes, the former of England and the latter of Scotland. They have had four children: Margaret, wife of John H. Lasher; Clyde Edw., who married Sarah Davis, and resides at Kittanning; Scott A., at home, and Jeannette D., at home. The family resides at No. 206 Queen street, Kittanning.

Source: Pages 917-918, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed October 1998 by Jeffrey Bish for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project