August Klose

line.gif

AUGUST KLOSE, of Ford City, Armstrong county, justice of the peace and real estate dealer, formerly proprietor of the "Monroe House," has not been a resident of that section for long, but he is nevertheless well and favorably known there. He is a native of Schleisien, Gerrmany, born March 31, 1855, son of August Klose, Sr.

August Klose, the father, was also born in Schlesien, was a shoemaker by trade, and also followed farming. Coming to America in 1870, he settled at Pittsburgh, Pa., where he was employed in the American Iron Works for twenty years. He is now living retired, making his home with his daughter Mary, in Pittsburgh, South Side. He is ninety-two years old (1914). Mr. Klose married Rose J�gerzehn, a native of Switzerland, who died May 27, 1889. She was a member of the Catholic Church, to which her husband also belongs. They had the following children: John, who is deceased; Annie, of Pittsburgh, Pa.; Julius, a butcher, of Pittsburgh; August; Mary, living in Pittsburgh; and Louise, Sister Amelia of the St. Francis Sisters of Pittsburgh, who died in 1906.

August Klose received a public school education. He lived at home until his marriage, and learned the trade of barber, having a shop in South Pittsburgh after his marriage which he conducted for three years. He was then with George Pastur one year in Pittsburgh, and in 1880, on account of his health, moved to Armstrong county, Pa., settling at Freeport, where he ran a barber shop for a while. He was then in the milling business at West Tarentum, continuing there for over a year, after which he resumed the barber business at Freeport. In 1900 he sold out his establishment there and bought a store of Harry Montgomery, at Kittanning borough. Three and a half years later he sold this place and settled at Ford City, buying the "Wilson House," which he renamed "Monroe House." He was proprietor of this hotel for three years, operating it very successfully, and upon giving up this line of business was engaged in various enterprises, at present giving his attention to his duties as justice of the peace.

Mr. Klose has taken considerable interest in politics and the local government, and in the fall of 1910 he was elected justice of the peace for Ford City. He is a Democrat in his party allegiance. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum, the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Knights of St. George, and in religious connection is a Catholic, belonging to St. Mary�s Catholic Church at Ford City. He has become very well known in these various connections, and has made many warm friends.

On Sept. 5, 1875, Mr. Klose married Wilhelmina Keck, a native of Pittsburgh, Pa., born Oct. 16, 1856, daughter of Christopher Keck, who was a master teazer in the glass works there. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Klose: Edward, the eldest, died when five and a half years old; Clara, the second, wife of A. B. Ritchey, manager of an orange plantation at Rich Grove, Cal., has two children, Leonard and Charles; Anna, the third, born Sept. 3, 1880, died when one and a half years old; Eleanor, the fourth, born Feb. 1, 1883, died in October, 1886.

Source: Pages 701-702, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed September 1998 by Carl Waltenbaugh for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project