Harvey M King

line.gif

HARVEY M. KING, sheet roller with the American Sheet & Tin Plate Company, at Leechburg, Pa., was born at the King homestead in Gilpin township, Armstrong county, son of J. George King, a grandson of Conrad King and great-grandson of Peter King. Peter King lived in Bremen, Germany, and was a farmer by occupation. He remained in the old country.

Conrad King, son of Peter King, was born in Germany, and came from there to America when a young man with his wife and one child, a daughter. They crossed the Atlantic ocean in a sailing vessel that consumed eight weeks in making the voyage, landing at Baltimore, Md., July 4, 1832, from which city they shortly afterward made their way to Greensburg, Westmoreland Co., Pa., by team. There Conrad King followed his trade, shoemaking, for seven years. From there he moved to Armstrong county and settled in what was then Allegheny (now Gilpin) township, where he purchased fifty-five acres of land near the Forks Church. This was known as the old John Stoops farm, but the clearing was mainly done by Conrad King, and here he passed the remainder of his life, his death occurring in May, 1883, at the age of eighty-four years. He married Elizabeth Shiren, who was born in Germany, and died in Gilpin township in 1870 when aged seventy years. Both she and her husband were members of the Forks Church and they are buried in the cemetery of that church. Conrad King was one of the members when the first church was built there in 1842, and always continued his active interest. Five children were born to Conrad and Elizabeth King, namely: Henry, who died at the age of forty years; Catherine, who married Joseph T. Myers; Mary A., who died unmarried; Caroline, who resides at Leechburg; and J. George.

J. George King was reared in Armstrong county and attended the district schools, and since taking entire charge of the homestead, in 1884, has devoted himself to general farming and fruit growing. During the Civil war he became a member of Company H, 14th Regiment, Pennsylvania Militia, when there was danger from State invasion by the Confederates, and was out a short time. On May 19, 1864, he married Sarah A. Snyder, daughter of Conrad and Elizabeth (Bargerstock) Snyder, and the following children have been born to them: Elizabeth C. died at the age of seven years; John W., who lives in Gilpin township, married Claudia Sipes, and they have three children, William H., George E., and Grace R.; Samuel E., who is a resident of East St. Louis, married Pearl Purviance, and they have five children, Harold, Clair, Russell, Leon, and Lucille; Duetta, who is the wife of George Sipes, residing in Gilpin township, has three children, Lillian, Florence, and Beatrice; Harvey M. is mentioned below. Mr. King has always been an active citizen, taking much interest in local politics, and several times has been elected to office on the Democratic ticket. For six years he has served as school director in Gilpin township, and he served two terms in Allegheny township before it was divided. He has also been assessor and auditor. He is one of the representative members of the Forks Lutheran Church, which he has served as member of the council for forty years and many years as superintendent of the Sunday school.

Harvey M. King obtained a good common school education and remained at home until he was twenty-one years old, when he came to Leechburg, Pa. He began work in the rolling mills, accepting a place at the bottom and working his way up until he was made a roller, in 1899, a position that requires knowledge and experience. He was married in 1899 to Jane Hawk, daughter of Aaron and Harriet (Lookabaugh) Hawk, and they have three children: Irwin, Margaret, and Evelyn. In 1907 Mr. King erected his handsome residence on Third street, Leechburg. Politically he is a Democrat, and fraternally an Odd Fellow and a member of the Royal Arcanum. He is a member of the First Lutheran Church of Leechburg.

Source: Pages 934-935, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed October 1998 by Kathy Zagorac for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project