Edwin D. Ivory

line.gif

EDWIN D. IVORY, who established a flourishing real estate and insurance business at Ford City which he conducted within the last few years, was born in 1874 in East Brady township, Clarion Co., Pa., son of Alfred L. and Harriet E. (Morrison) Ivory. His father is a well-known lawyer of the Armstrong county bar.

Mr. Ivory attended public school at Clarion, Pa., and later studied at the Clarion Normal School. He then moved with his parents to New York, where he was employed as a clerk for a time. Being a close observer and persistent reader he has endeavored to become well informed, and he has added to his early education by attendance at night school since he began work. Thus in a measure he may be said to be self-educated. Moving to Pittsburgh, Pa., he found employment in the establishment of George Van Kirk for a short time. Being endowed with natural talent and liking for the art of designing, he learned the trade of designer and draughtsman, and in time became designer of fine chandeliers for the S. Keighley Metal Ceiling and manufacturing Company, of Pittsburgh, holding that position for about eleven years. The confinement, however, affected his health so seriously that he was obliged to abandon the business, and he located at Ford City, where he engaged in the real estate and insurance line. In the spring of 1911 he was appointed justice of the peace. He became further connected with the business interests of the place as stockholder, secretary and treasurer of the ford City Brick Manufacturing Company, which was originally organized for the manufacture of the ordinary red brick. The company has recently, however, discovered that in its property holdings is a large bed of first-class firebrick clay, and intends to manufacture that kind of brick extensively in the development of this find. During a comparatively brief residence at Ford City Mr. Ivory has become well known there. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. lodge at Ford City, of the Independent Americans, and of the Royal Arcanum. In religious connection he is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

In 1905 Mr. Ivory was married to Goldie A. Steele, daughter of Lincoln Steele, of Pittsburgh. They have two children: Georgiana L. and Dixon L.

Source: Pages 789, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed September 2001 by Lisa Strobel for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project