Andrew E Ivory

line.gif

ANDREW E. IVORY, of Pittsburgh, Pa., is a member of a family which settled in Armstrong county over half a century ago and has been creditably represented there since. He was born Feb. 13, 1855, at White Oak Level, near Oakmont, Allegheny county, Pa., son of Andrew and Catherine (Schroeder) Ivory.

The name Ivory is of Norman French origin, and one ancient and honorable. Under Ivory, in "A Dictionary of the Family Names of the United Kingdom, endeavored by Mark Antony Lower," we find the following: "The family De Ivery were descended from Rodolph, half-brother to Richard the first, Duke of Normandy, who for killing a monstrous boar, while hunting with the Duke, was rewarded with the castle of Ivery, on the river l'Evre, and from thence entitled Comes de Iberio." Elsewhere we find: John de Ivery obtained the Manor of Ambrosden, County Oxon, 1077, and Hugh de Iveri occurs as its lord in Domesday Book. It is believed (the name?) so originated is obsolete. 1391 Yvory, Cal. Of Wills in the Court of Hastings, Bapt. The son of Ivor or Ivery, who was considered to have prayed away the rats from Fernegenall, "Mures Majors qui vulgariter Rate vocantur," so completely that none ever survived there again. But whether he was named Dane or Kelt does not appear. At any rate St. Ivery was deemed good enough to invoke against rats, Younge II, 249-250. ----In some cases the familiar surname Every has assumed the initiative form of Ivory (of Ivens for Evans). Other forms are Everie, Iverye, Ivey, Ivy.

Andrew Ivory, father of Andrew E. Ivory, was born at Brownsville, Pa., and followed agricultural pursuits until his enlistment, in 1861, in Company G, 11th Pennsylvania Reserve Corps. Entering the service as a private, he was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant, and later became acting captain in command from the battle of South Mountain to and including the battle of Fredericksburg. At the latter engagement the bones of his knee were badly shattered, the accident maiming him for life. Because of this serious wound he was honorably discharged, and returned home to resume farming, in which he continued until 1884. His death occurred May 9, 1908. He married Mrs. Catherine (Schroeder) Rigby, a native of Butler county, Pa., who by her first marriage had one daughter, Amelia S., who married a Mr. J.W. McLaughlin. Mrs. Ivory died in January, 1903. By her marriage to Mr. Ivory she had the following children: Alfred L.; Mary A., wife of J.F. Keener, of Kittanning; Andrew E.; Francis J., of Pittsburgh; Robert B., an attorney of Pittsburgh; and Ella J., wife of Alfred Gray, of Columbus, Ohio. Both parents were members of the Presbyterian Church, of which the father had been an elder for several years. He was also a member of the G.A.R. post in his vicinity.

Andrew E. Ivory was but two years old when the family moved to Armstrong county, Pa., his father purchasing a farm near Leechburg. Later they moved to another farm, in South Buffalo township, and Mr. Ivory obtained his early education at the Slate Lick Academy. He afterward attended the Witherspoon Institute at Butler,Pa., and then took a commercial course at the Iron City Business College, Pittsburgh, Pa. His first business experience was gained in a merchant tailoring and clothing store at East Brady, Clarion Co., Pa., which he entered April 1, 1873, and where he was employed for four years, in 1880 returning to East Brady, to spend six years more in the establishment where he first started. Then for a period of eighteen years he was traveling salesman for Pittsburgh wholesale grocery houses, at the end of that time becoming part owner and manager of a large steam laundry in Pittsburgh. He was thus engaged until he embarked in his present enterprise, as proprietor of the Select Clean Towel Service for banks and office buildings. His office is at No. 7017 Jenkins Arcade building, Pittsburgh, Pa. He has built up a profitable trade, which he is widening steadily, and has established a position of definite usefulness for himself in the commercial circles of the city. From 1886 to 1895, he lived at Parkers Landing, from 1895 to 1903 at Franklin, Pa., and since 1903 has had his home in Pittsburgh.

Mr. Ivory is well known in Masonic circles, belonging to Parker City Lodge, No. 521, F.& A.M., Parkers Landing, Pa.; to the Royal Arch Chapter, No. 273, at Butler, Pa.; Franklin Commandery, No. 44, K.T., of Franklin, Venango Co., Pa.; Pennsylvania Consistory, S.P.R.S., thirty-second degree, Pittsburgh, Pa; and Zemzem Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S., of Erie, Pa. He also belongs to the Heptasophs; holding membership in Estella Conclave of Pittsburgh.

On July 4, 1877, Mr. Ivory married Mary Larkins, daughter of James and Eliza (Deevers) Larkins. She died April, 1886, leaving two children: Florence, who has taken a course in dentistry and is engaged in practice in Allegheny, having her office at No. 505 Arch street, Allegheny; and Royal H., of Point Richmond, Cal., in the employ of the Standard Oil Company. On June 11, 1905, Mr. Ivory married (second) Mrs. Georgeanna (Outlow) Steele, daughter of George Washington and Catharine (Leonard) Outlow, the former of whom is deceased; since his death the widow has become the wife of Thomas Williams, of Millers Eddy, Armstrong Co, Pa., where they reside. Mrs. Ivory has no children by her present marriage, but there were two daughters by her first union; Florence Etta, who married Charles N. Fry, of Franklin, Pa.; and Goldie Arbutus, who married Edward D. Ivory, of Ford City, Pa., a real estate dealer. Mr. and Mrs. Ivory reside at No. 223 Morse street, Pittsburgh, Pa. They are members of the Presbyterian Church at Knoxville, Pittsburgh.

Source: pages 650-651, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed September 1998 by P. Godesky for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project