CHAPTER 30
BOGGS TOWNSHIP

line

Formed from Pine--Industries--Goheenville-Schools--Religious--Population--Geology

When this township was formed in 1878 it deprived Pine of most of its territory, so that a history of the latter will cover most of the imprtant events of this section previous to that date. The vote for division was so close as to almost be a tie.

The first settlers of this township were of course the same as those of Pine, therefore reference can be made to the history of the latter for a list of their names.

William Peart, Sr., of Philadelphia, settled in 1806 at the point since called "Peart's Eddy," on the bank of the Allegheny. He erected a sawmill near the mouth of Pine run, later transferring the plant to Walter Sloan, who was assessed with it in 1830.

"Peart's Eddy" postoffice was established in 1868 with Levi G. Peart as postmaster. Later it was changed to "Brattonville." It has since been abolished.

Wilkins & Bell erected a sawmill here in 1872, working almost exclusively for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. They had a planing mill, a store and six tenant houses, and employed twenty men. In 1876 they built thirty-two barges and boats, and cut one million feet of lumber. The sawmill is now owned by Patton Brothers, and still saws crossties for the Pennsylvania road.

A glass works was started here shortly after the opening of the gas wells in this vicinity, but failed to be a paying proposition. It was destroyed by fire in 1890.

GOHEENVILLE

At this point in the eastern part of the township, on Scrubgrass creek, George W. Goheen built a sawmill and gristmills in 1851. He also started a store here in 1857.

Such is the origin of Goheenville, as yet but a hamlet, in the forks of the head branches of Scrubgrass, containing a public schoolhouse, a store, physician's office, one mill, blacksmith shop and a few dwelling houses. Scrubgrass postoffice was established about a mile and a quarter northeast of this point in the summer of 1844, William J. Calhoun, postmaster. It was removed hither in 1850-51. Its name was changed to Goheenville June 20, 1866, George W. Goheen being the second postmaster.

Rural routes have caused the cancellation of this postoffice. The town is now but a hamlet.

In the southeastern part of the township, on the south fork of Pine creek, were located several sawmills, gristmills and a distillery, of which William and James Hannegan were the successive owners, from 1841 to 1843. Near here in 1851 Peter Beck also erected a gristmill. None of these old mills is now in operation, and most of them are only a memory.

SCHOOLS

The first schoolhouse within the present limits of Boggs township was located on the Wallace tract, about two miles north of the mouth of Pine creek and the first teacher was David White, Sr. His scholars numbered about twenty-five, some of whom came from the west side of the Allegheny river. His immediate successors were William White and David Hull. One of the first schoolhouses under the common school law was a log one on or near the site of the first one, which continued to be used until the present one was erected, about 275 rods northeast of it.

For a list of the schools and other statistics previous to the division of Pine and Boggs townships, reference can be made to the history of the former.

The number of schools in 1913 was 8; average months taught, 7; male teachers, 5; female teachers, 3; average salaries, male, $44; female, $43.33; male scholars, 93; female scholars, 74; average attendance, 136; cost per month, $2.37; tax levied, $1,526; received from State, $1,411.82; other sources, $2,337.81; value of schoolhouses, $5,000; teachers' wages, $2,450; fuel, fees, etc., $402.70.

The school commissioners for that year were: O. W. Gearhart, president; J. S. Patrick, secretary; C. J. Ellenberger, treasurer; Jacob Collins, T. F. Fox.

RELIGIOUS

Religious services were held for some years in private houses, barns, and, in pleasant weather, in the woods. The Associate Reformed Church (commonly called Seceder), now United Presbyterian, was organized probably about 1826, by Rev. John Dickey. It was dependent for many years on supplies. Its first pastor was Rev. John Hindman, whose pastorate continued from April 29, 1840, until May 19, 1853. Its second pastor was Rev. David K. Duff, whose pastorate continued from some time in June, 1856, until the summer of 1870. Since then the congregation has depended on supplies. Each of those pastors gave this church half his time. David White, Sr., and Francis Dill were among its early elders. The present number of members is sixty.

The first church edifice, log, 20 by 20 feet, was erected in 1827, near Goheenville, a short distance below the site of the first schoolhouse, on the east side of White's run. The second, a frame edifice, was erected on the same site in 1855. The ground on which it stood was donated by William White, in 1832, to Noah Calhoun, Moses Dill, William Lowry, Alexander Oliver, William Templeton and James White, trustsees of "Lower Piney" congregation, in trust for the use of "Pine creek congregation," for the nominal sum of $1. The name adopted by the congregation then was "Rhehoboth."

The third church building was located on the Devers farm in 1878. It is still standing. The pastor at present is Rev. E. M. Elsey, who serves the congregation at Glen Campbell, Pa., also.

In 1913 the assessment returns were: Number of acres, timber, 3,611, clear, 10,635; valued at $214,353; houses and lots, 59, valued at $8,618; average, $146.06; horses, 222, value, $12,140, average, $54.68; cows, 312, value, $4,606, average, $14.76; taxables, 336, total valuation, $244,372. Money at interest, $68,709.

POPULATION

The population of Boggs township in 1880 was 1,000; in 1890, 847; in 1900, 865; in 1910, 878.

The geological report of Pine township covers all the data relating to the formation of this township.

The highest point in this township is the same hill that answers for Wayne's western boundary mark, and is 1,667 feet above sea level.

Source: Page(s) 211-230, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J. H. Beers & Co., 19114.
Transcribed July 1998 by James R. Hindman for the Armstrong County Smith Project.
Contributed by James R. Hindman for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project