John A. Hill

line.gif

JOHN A. HILL, member of the firm of Stull-Hill-Coulter Company, general merchants at Leechburg, was born in Butler county, Pa., March 5, 1863, son of Shiloh and Mary E. (Weaver) Hill.

Shiloh Hill was born Oct. 18, 1825, on the old family homestead in what is now Gilpin township, Armstrong county. He learned the milling business, and afterward bought a farm in Butler county which he operated for a few years. Then he ran the Hill gristmill in Allegheny township, Westmoreland county, living at Bagdad most of the time and he spent one summer in the oil fields where he was interested to some extent in oil production, but devoted the larger part of his time to milling. From 1870 until 1872 he operated the Elwood mill at Leechburg. For several years before his death he was retired, his death occurring June 27, 1888; he was buried in the Freeport cemetery. He married Mary E. Weaver, daughter of Peter and Mary (Roney) Weaver, and they had a family of ten children, as follows: Mary and Sarah, twins, who died young; Laura, widow of Andrew J. Stull; John A; Jessie, wife of S. J Swank; James R.; Grant, a member of the Stull-Hill-Coulter Company; Frederick and Charles S., both also members of that firm; and Hattie C., wife of Robert P. Elwood.

John A. Hill attended school in both Gilpin and Allegheny townships and was trained practically from boyhood in his father's mill, of which he took charge in 1877, operating it for some years. In 1887 he came to Leechburg to conduct a mill, which he ran for four years, when he entered the firm of Smail, Stull & Hill, who had the establishment now carried on by the Stull-Hill-Coulter Company, dealers in groceries and general supplies. They have enlarged the scope of their trade considerably since, now also handling grain, feed and hay. The different members of the firm have charge of different departments, all working together as a whole, and John A. Hill takes care of the hardware, plumbing and roofing business. He has additional business interests, being a director of the Leechburg Realty Company, and secretary and treasurer of the Philadelphia Milling & Mining Company. In politics a Republican, the success of his party is always gratifying to him. He has served one term as a councilman and two terms as a member of the school board, has been secretary and a director of the Leechburg Board of Trade.

On May 30, 1888, Mr. Hill was married to Mary Coulter, daughter of S. L. Coulter, and they have seven daughters: Edna C., L. Maude, Ruth E., Jessie E., Jeane E., Ida E., and Ada E. Mr. Hill and his family belong to the Hebron Lutheran Church at Leechburg, of which he has been an official for twenty years. Fraternally hs is a Mason, belonging to Leechburg Lodge, No. 377, F. & A. M., of which he is a past master; and to Orient Chapter, R. A. M., at Kittanning.

Source: Pages 629-630, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed September 2001 by Lynn Beatty for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project