John A Hall

line.gif

JOHN A. HALL, a lifelong resident of Armstrong county, was for many years a farmer in North Buffalo township, recently removing to West Franklin township, where he makes his home with his daughter, Mrs. Harry W. Noble. Mr. Hall was born June 30, 1832, in what is now North Buffalo township, son of David and Margaret (Hindman) Hall, and grandson of David Hall.

David Hall, the grandfather, came to North Buffalo township, Armstrong county, Pa., in 1796, and purchased a large tract of land, engaging in farming, land jobbing and trading with the Indians. He became a man of prominence and high standing in the community in which he settled. His wife's maiden name was Jackson, and they had a family of nine children, namely: John, David, James, Jackson, Robert, Jane (who married Barnard Stillwell), Peggy (who married Philip Atwood), Nancy (who married John Hindman) and Sarah (who married James McCormick).

David Hall, Jr., was born before his parents removal to North Buffalo township, in 1792, in eastern Pennsylvania, and was but a young child when the family came to this section, in 1796. He grew to manhood at the place where they settled in Armstrong county, west of the Allegheny river, and when he reached maturity engaged in farming on his own account, prospering to such an extent that he became the owner of 250 acres, which farm he cleared and improved himself. He was also engaged in milling for a few years. Late in life he removed to South Buffalo township, where he died May 18, 1884, in his ninety-third year. He married Margaret Hindman, of Franklin township, whose parents, James and Mary (McClelland) Hindman, natives of Ireland, settled in what is now West Franklin township in 1792. Mr. and Mrs. David Hall had six children: Mary, who married William B. Morrison; Jane J., who married John Boyd; James; Margaret; Rev. David, D. D., and John A.

John A. Hall was reared at the old homestead, part of which afterward came into his ownership. He received the best advantages afforded by the public schools of the locality, and has always been a reading man, keeping himself well informed upon current events and progress in the lines in which he is interested. Until his retirement from active life he followed farming and threshing, and he became known as one of the most intelligent and progressive men engaged in such work in North Buffalo township, his farm of 135 acres showing the results of modern methods of farming and thorough management. He continued to reside upon the old homestead until 1910, in which year he removed to West Franklin township to make his home with his daughter, Mrs. Harry W. Noble.

Mr. Hall has always been interested in the public welfare, and though a Democrat on purely political questions he has long been identified with the Prohibitionists, so much so that in 1890 he was the candidate on the Prohibition ticket for county treasurer, an honor which came to him entirely unsolicited. He is a man who has always commanded the respect of all who have had dealings with him in any of the relations of life.

On April 26, 1855, Mr. Hall was married to Agnes Manso, daughter of Dr. Edward and Margaret (Fleming) Manso, of North Buffalo township. Her father was an early homeopathic physician, having studied under Hahnemann, the founder of homeopathy, in Germany. Mrs. Agnes Hall died in 1862, the mother of three children: Margaret, Ella who married Frank E. Hine, of Tallmadge, Summit county, Ohio, and after his death married C. C. Conaghan, also of Tallmadge; Anna Belle, deceased; and Warren C., who is now engaged in farming in Venango county, Pa., Mr. Hall's second marriage was to Ann M. Ralston, a native of Sough Buffalo township, daughter of David and Rebecca (Law) Ralston, of that township. Four children were born to this union, three of whom survive; William Edwin, a licensed evangelist of the Presbyterian Church, now a teacher in Marysville College, Marysville, Tenn.; Howard, who resides on the homestead in North Buffalo township; and Flora R., wife of Harry W. Noble, of West Franklin township.

Mr. Hall has been a member of the Presbyterian church for the long period of sixty years, and served many years as elder of the church at Worthington.

Source: Pages 582-583, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed January 1999 by Connie Mateer for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project