Frank W. Goodwin

line.gif

PROF. FRANK W. GOODWIN, one of the best known educators of Armstrong county, was born March 14, 1869, in Venango county, Pa., son of Ira and Mary (Alcorn) Goodwin.

John Goodwin, founder of the family in America, was born in Ayr, Scotland, and came to the United States about 1810, locating at Columbus, Ohio, where he engaged in the stock business, buying and selling all kinds of stock for many years.

Daniel Goodwin, son of John, was born at Columbus, Ohio, and like his father was a stock dealer. Subsequently he transferred his headquarters from Columbus to Cooperstown, Pa. He then embarked in the iron and mercantile business, and became a land agent, buying large tracts of land. The old homestead in Plum township, Venango Co., Pa., now owned by the sons of Ira, was a portion of the land he purchased when he was land agent.

Ira Goodwin, son of Daniel, was born on the Goodwin farm in Plum township, Venango Co., Pa., in 1841, and followed farming from the time he attained maturity. He and his wife became the parents of three children: Frank W., and Daniel and Andrew, who are twins. Daniel Goodwin is a lawyer and district attorney at Oil City, Pa., while Andrew is a physician at the same place. The parents early united with the Methodist Church.

Frank W. Goodwin attended public school in Venango county, later entering the Edinboro State Normal School, from which he was graduated in 1889. He was also graduated from Grove City College, in 1895, and took postgraduate courses at Harvard and Oxford, England, and has kept up his studies unceasingly. Professor Goodwin taught public school in several districts and then for eight years was a member of the faculty of the State Normal School located at Edinboro, Pa. Locating at Kittanning, he became superintendent of the Kittanning public schools in 1907. Being very progressive in his ideas, and a man of broad views, he has materially raised the standard of his schools, and brought them to a high state of excellence. Not only is he well equipped for his professional duties by careful training and wide experience, but he loves his work and takes a pride in its quality.

In August, 1904, Professor Goodwin was married to Flora B. Thompson, daughter of John Thompson, of Meadville, Pa. Prof. Goodwin belongs to Blue Lodge No. 416, F. & A.M., Orient Chapter, No. 247, R. A. M., Rose Croix Commandery, No. 38, and Pittsburgh Consistory. Not only is he one of the best educators Armstrong county has ever possessed, but he is also an attorney, having studied law and been admitted to the bar, although never engaged in active practice. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is superintendent of the Sunday school.

Source: Pages 601-602, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed September 2001 by Nancy Cain Knepper for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project