Good Family

line.gif

GOOD. The brothers D. Marshall, John B. and Calvin S. Good, of Wayne township, Armstrong county, are sons of Peter Good and grandsons of Abraham Good. Their great-grandfather Good was a native of Maryland, and his son Abraham was born near Hagerstown, that State, June 3, 1799. About 1832 he located in Indiana county, Pa., where he purchased the farm upon which he spent the remainder of his life. His death occurred Sept. 9, 1855. On June 17, 1818, he married Margaret Burkett, who was born in June, 1802, and died Jan. 31, 1864. They had children born as follows: Christiana, Nov. 26, 1820; Peter, Nov. 24, 1822; Abraham, Oct. 13, 1824; Isaac, Oct. 31, 1826; Eliza, Aug. 16, 1829 (died Oct. 2, 1844); Nancy, June 17, 1832; John, Sept. 17, 1835 (died Oct. 3, 1844); Margaret, Nov. 22, 1837; Samuel, Dec. 6, 1841 (died Sept. 28, 1844); David, Sept. 2, 1944; Sarah, Aug. 28, 1847.

Peter Good, son of Abraham and Margaret Good, was born Nov. 24, 1822, in what is now Blair county, Pa., and when quite a young man settled at Smicksburg, Indiana county. Thence he removed to Armstrong county in 1871, buying the old Kells farm, which is now owned by his sons John B. and D. Marshall Good. There he resided until his death, Jan. 8, 1896. He is buried at Smicksburg. He was a very successful farmer and stock raiser, taking particular interest and pride in good stock, and often took premiums at the county fairs. He was a public-spirited man, interested in the general welfare, and served as school director in both Indiana and Armstrong counties. Mr. Good married Margaret Catherine Marshall, daughter of John and Elizabeth Marshall, born Feb. 1, 1827, died Jan. 7, 1901; she is also buried at Smicksburg, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Good were the parents of four children: D. Marshall, born July 6, 1863; John B., born Sept. 17, 1865, who lives at Dayton, Armstrong county; Calvin S., born Aug 16, 1867; and Archie A., born April 20, 1870, who died Feb. 8, 1871.

D. Marshall Good, son of Peter Good, is a well-known farmer and business man of Wayne township. He was born July 6, 1863, at Smicksburg, Indiana county, began his education in the public schools, and was later a pupil at the Glade Run Academy, in Wayne township. He remained at home with his parents, following farming, and in time he and his brother John B. Good became the owners of the homestead property in Wayne township, which consists of 175 acres of valuable land. Mr. D. Marshall Good resides upon this tract. The brothers are model up-to-date farmers, using the most approved methods and machinery in their agricultural operations. D. Marshall Good is also engaged in the butchering business, selling his beef wholesale at Dayton, Sagamore and Yatesboro. He and his brother John have 215 acres of woodland and carry on the lumbering business in addition to farming. He is a stockholder in the Dayton Fair Association and the Dayton Normal Institute, and in his various connections with the life of the community has shown himself to be a progressive and enterprising citizen, one of the leading residents of his district. He is a member of the Glade Run Presbyterian Church and identified with the Republican party in politics.

On Jan. 3, 1901, Mr. Good married Mary Burns, daughter of W. T. Burns, of Cowanshannock township, Armstrong county, and they have a family of three children: David D., Avalon C. and Loureigh Burns.

Calvin S. Good, son of Peter Good, was born Aug. 16, 1867, near Smicksburg, Indiana county. He received his education in the common schools and at Glade Run Academy, which later institution he attended for three terms, and with the exception of a year spent in the West passed his early life on the home place with his father. Upon his return to Pennsylvania he married and commenced farming for himself on one of his father's farms in Wayne township, remaining there until his removal to Dayton, Oct. 22, 1901. He has since been engaged in the livery business in the borough, and also continues to manage the cultivation of his farm, which consists of 110 acres. He has twelve horses for hire, and enjoys a steady patronage. Upon his removal to Dayton he bought the old Dr. Crouch property, and he is also the owner of other valuable real-estate in the borough. Like the members of his family generally, he is an energetic citizen, has served as councilman of the borough, and is a stockholder in the Dayton Fair Association and the Dayton Normal Institute, supporting all worthy local movements. He is a Republican in politics, and in religious connection a member of the Glade Run Presbyterian Church.

On Aub. 23, 1893, Mr. Good was married to Minnie B. Gallagher, daughter of James and Susan (McCoach) Gallagher, and the have two children: Miriam C., born Aug. 26, 1894, who was graduated from the Dayton Normal Institute, where she took the music course; and James P., born April 7, 1902.

The children of James and Susan (McCoach) Gallagher were as follows: James S., who died in 1906 (he was elected sheriff of Armstrong county, 1897, and was a very popular official); Minnie B., Mrs. Calvin S. Good; William E., of Kittanning, who served as deputy sheriff under his brother; Frank E., and Arthur L.

Source: Pages(s) 711-712, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed October 1998 by Neil G. Anderson for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission. Genealogy Project

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project