HARRY R. GAULT

line.gif

HARRY R. GAULT, one of the progressive, public-spirited men of Armstrong county, and a prosperous citizen of Kittanning, was born in 1864 at Allegheny City, Pa. He is a son of James and Emma Gault. Educated in the public schools of Kittanning and Media Academy, at Media, Pa., Mr. Gault entered his father's department store as a clerk. After a short time he was placed in charge of the grocery department, a responsible position for one of so little experience, for the Gault department store was the first of its kind in Kittanning, and the pioneer in the adoption of the cash system.

In 1910 the firm was incorporated as J. A. Gault & Co., general merchandise and department store, and Harry R. Gault was made general manager. This is the largest store of its kind in Kittanning, and under the energetic management of Mr. Gault its affairs are now in a very gratifying condition. He is acknowledged as one of the progressive young business men of Armstrong county, and in 1906 his prominence in the business world was recognized by his being made president of the Board of Trade of Kittanning. In 1911 he was one of the organizers and an active member of the business men's exchange of the borough.

In 1906 Mr. Gault became one of the promoters of the town of Templeton, he having bought the land and laid out the place. Selling the lots at a reasonable price, he brought to it substantial homemakers, who are interested in its development. This town is now in a thriving condition. In this same locality there is a large bed of clay well adapted for brick manufacturing, and Mr. Gault has developed a thriving brick industry here. He also opened up a good bed of limestone, under the name of the Templeton Limestone Company, which furnishes the limestone in large quantities for fluxing furnaces. This is the first industry of its kind in Armstrong county, and its success and development are largely due to Mr. Gault's foresight and energy. Mr. Gault is also president (elected 1913) of the Armstrong Trust Company, a director of the Farmers' National Bank, and interested in many enterprises which tend toward the moral and material uplift of Kittanning and Armstrong county.

Fraternally an enthusiastic Mason, he is a member of Blue Lodge No.244, Orient Chapter, No.247, Tancred Commandery of Pittsburgh, and the Consistory of the Valley of Condersport, having attained the thirty-second degree. For some years he has been a member of the Washington Township Grange of Armstrong county. He is treasurer of the building fund of the Presbyterian Church, of which he is a consistent member, and also serves as trustee.

In 1891 Mr. Gault was married to Retta Titzell, daughter of Andrew Titzell, of Kittanning. Three children have been born to them: James, Margaret and Harry.

Source: Pages 602-603, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed September 2001 by Laural Black Morris for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project