William Gallagher

line.gif

WILLIAM GALLAGHER, real estate dealer and agent for the Frick machinery at Dayton, Armstrong county, was born July 27, 1845, in Wayne township, son of James H. and Rebecca (Williamson) Gallagher.

Hugh Gallagher, grandfather of William Gallagher, came from Ireland to what is now Wayne township in 1831. Here he bought 200 acres of land from a Mr. Colwell of Kittanning, for one dollar per acre. On this property he built a log cabin, and settling down began life in true pioneer style, clearing off his land, and developing it into a valuable property. He was one of the organizers of the St. Michaels Episcopal Church in Wayne township, and one of its most liberal and influential members. Among his brothers and sisters were: William, who went to Tennessee, where he became a merchant and farmer, and died; his son, Robert, still living in that State, where he owns 420 acres of land; James H.; Nancy Dill; Martha; Mrs. Brice; and Mrs. Hamilton.

James H. Gallagher, son of Hugh Gallagher, and father of William Gallagher, was born in Ireland in 1819, and came to this country when twelve years of age. His life was spent in agricultural pursuits. Taking the old homestead in Wayne township, he continued to develop it and make improvements until his death, in 1908. He and his wife had children as follows: Hannah, William, Nancy, James, Isabella, Hugh, Uphiah, Mary, and Rebecca.

William Gallagher attended public school in his native township and the Dayton Academy, leaving the latter institution in 1868. Following this he taught school for three terms, one in Wayne township, one in Boggs township, and one in Beaver township, Jefferson county, Pa. The next year he clerked at Echo, for Frank Martin. Having by this time prepared himself, he embarked in a general merchandise business on his own account at Oscar. After two and a half years there, in 1873, he located at Bryan, Pa., where he was the pioneer merchant. This was his home and place of business for twenty-two years, when, tiring of business life, he bought a farm of one hundred eight acres in Cowanshannock township, operating it a few years. He then sold his property, and coming to Dayton in 1898 he established himself in a real estate and implement business. Mr. Gallagher is agent for the Frick machinery, including engines, threshers, and sawmills, placing new ones, as well as those which are second hand, repairing and rebuilding where practicable. He also deals in real estate, mills and stores, buying, selling and exchanging, specializing in building lots. A ten-acre tract which he owned with others, adjoining the borough, he platted and developed into a desirable suburb. In addition he bought a third of forty-four acres in the borough and township, and twenty-two houses, which he is selling to homeseekers. Mr. Gallagher is also interested selling automobiles. He is a charter member of the Pine creek Mutual Fire Insurance Company, which he has served as president, treasurer and secretary.

In 1876 Mr. Gallagher was married to Amanda Marshall, daughter of James G. and Nancy (Blair) Marshall. Mr. and Mrs. Gallagher had one son, Blaine, born in 1878, who died in 1904, being cut off in the flower of his young manhood. This loss was a terrible one to his parents, and was keenly felt in the community where his blameless life had been spent. Prior to his demise the young man had been taken into partnership with his father, the firm being W. Gallagher & Son.

Mr. Gallagher is a Republican, and being very active in the ranks of his party is called upon to support its principles in public office, having served as tax collector and member of the city council. Upon several occasions he has been sent as delegate to the State conventions. For years he has been a member of St. Michael's Episcopal Church, which his father assisted in founding, and served it as vestryman, but since moving to Dayton he has attended service at the Methodist Church, and is now the teacher of the Bible class of that organization. Live, progressive, a man of tireless energy, Mr. Gallagher is a power in his community, and deserves the success which has attended his endeavors.

Source: Pages 666-667, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed September 1998 by James R Hindman for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission. Genealogy Project

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project