George W Fleming

line.gif

GEORGE W. FLEMING, a resident of Madison township, Armstrong county where he is engaged in farming and operates a coal bank, owns part of the family homestead upon which his father settled upon his removal into this region. Mr. Fleming was born Aug. 26, 1865, in Oil Creek township, Venango Co., Pa., whence his parents came to Madison township, Armstrong county, when he was three years old. His grandfather, Samuel Fleming, lived in that county, where he was an early settler, cleared land and engaged in farming. His family of six children was reared in that county, and he is buried there.

Hamilton Fleming, father of George W. Fleming, received a good education for his day in Venango county, and after his marriage lived there as a farmer for some years, in Oil Creek township. He had a tract of about one hundred acres. Removing from there to Armstrong county, he became the owner of a 160 acre farm in Madison township, most of which was cleared he and his sons continuing the work of preparing the land for cultivation.

He not only improved his own property, but also took an active interest in the development of the neighborhood and local government, serving once as school director. He died on his farm at the age of eighty-one years, and is buried in the Tidal cemetery. He was a life-long member of the Baptist Church and a Democrat in politics. In Venango county he married Rosanna Holmes, a native of Oil Creek township, daughter of Samuel Holmes, of that county, and she preceded him to the gave, dying at the age of seventy-one years. She too is buried in the Tidal cemetery. They had the following children: Emma, who is married to Samuel Early, of Reynoldsville, Pa.; L. H., a resident of Venango county, Pa.; Alice, wife of John Dillon, of Oswego, N. Y.; Charles, who married Agnes Wyley and makes his home at Kittanning; George W.; Grace, wife of O. H. Morgan, of McKeesport, Pa.; Blanch Bell, born in Madison township, Armstrong county, now the wife of S. J. White, of Goheenville, this county; Edith, born in Madison township, now deceased; and Pearl, born in Madison township, wife of Nick McGorty, of Chickasaw, Armstrong Co., Pa.

George W. Fleming was reared on the home farm in Madison township, and received a good common school education, attending at Rimer. After he began to support himself he returned to Venango county, where he was employed at dressing tools and drilling oil wells, remaining three years. He came back because of the illness of his father, and has since resided on the home place, which was divided among the three sons after the father's death, the portion of George W. Fleming comprising forty-two acres, the part on which the dwellings and other buildings were located. This property is a mile northwest of Rimerton contains about two acres of timber-land Mr. Fleming carries on general farming and also operates a coal bank, and by industry and systematic attention to detail he is making his work profitable. He is a substantial and respected citizen, and has won high standing among his neighbors by upright living and fair dealing. He is a member of the Improved Order of Red Men at Tidal, holds membership the M. E. Church, and is a Democrat on Political questions. He has never held any public office.

On March, 1, 1888, Mr. Fleming married Eva Seybert, who was born at Seyberts Landing, Armstrong county, daughter of the late Reuben Seybert, of Brady's Bend township. Mr. and Mrs. Fleming have had two children, both of whom are deceased.

Source: Pages 754 - 755, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed February 1999 by Doris Rizza for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project