Harry L Ellenberger

line.gif

HARRY L. ELLENBERGER, junior member of Martin & Ellenberger, merchants of Dayton, Pa., was born at Belknap, Wayne township, Armstrong county, Aug.. 17, 1856, being a son of Gabriel S. Ellenberger.

George Ellenberger, grandfather of Harry L., was born in Butler county, Pa., and moved to Wayne township, Armstrong county, locating at the present site of Belknap about the year 1831. There he obtained a tract of 166 acres of land, built a house on it, and worked hard to clear it for cultivation. He also opened a general store there, being the first merchant in the place. He continued in business until his death, and both he and his wife are interred in the Concord cemetery. His wife, who bore the name of Elizabeth Pontius, was the daughter of Gabriel Pontius. The following children were born to them: Gabriel S.; Charles W., now president of the First National Bank of Dayton, Pa.; William P; J. Wesley; R. Clark; Maria; Sarepta; and Elizabeth.

Gabriel S. Ellenberger was born in Butler county, Pa. He taught school in Butler county, and always followed farming, owning a fine property of eighty-four acres in Wayne township, two miles north of Belknap. His death occurred in 1892, when he was sixty-two years old. He married Sarah Armstrong, daughter of John D. Armstrong, and they had four children: Harry L., Alice J., George M. and John D., who died young.

Harry L. Ellenberger attended the local schools and Dayton Academy, and taught school in Armstrong county from 1876 to 1890, becoming well known as an educator. In the latter year he located on the family homestead, and in 1896 embarked in the mercantile business at Belknap, continuing until 1908, when he formed his present partnership with Robert B. Martin, at Dayton. The firm is known as Martin & Ellenberger, and handles a full line of groceries, hardware, farm implements, wagons, buggies, and other goods. In addition to his other interests Mr. Ellenberger holds stock in the First National Bank of Dayton.

Mr. Ellenberger is a Republican, served as township clerk and auditor from 1901 to 1906, and is also a justice of the peace. He was one of the founders of the Dayton Normal Institute, and is now serving as secretary of the board. For years he has been a consistent member of the United Presbyterian Church, of which he is trustee and elder. He is an excellent business man, a public-spirited citizen, and greatly interested in the development and advancement of the community. He has attained deserved prominence in his locality, and is justly held in the highest esteem.

Source: Pages 805-806, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed October 1998 by James R Hindman for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project