William B. Daugherty

line

WILLIAM B. DAUGHERTY, brick manufacturer, and prominently identified with the business interests of Kittanning in other connections, was born in that city July 13, 1861, son of George B. and Agnes E. (Hillberry) Daugherty.

Patrick Daugherty had the distinction of being the first permanent settler of Kittanning. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was killed by the Indians at Lake George, New York.

James Daugherty, son of Patrick Daugherty, was born in Kittanning, and had children as follows: George; James P.; Harmer Augustus; Mary, who married George P. Kron and is deceased; Nancy, who died unmarried, and Hannah, who is the only one of the family now living.

George B. Daugherty was a successful brick manufacturer and contractor. He manufactured all the brick and built all the brick work in the present jail, as well as the opera house, now occupied by the Safety Deposit & Guarantee Company, the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Works at Ford City, the Clarion jail, the Indiana courthouse, Kittanning courthouse and many other buildings in Kittanning and surrounding places. For years he was the only brick manufacturer of any consequence in the region. He was the originator of the poor farm, took great interest in bettering the condition of the poor, and for many years was trustee of the county farm. Energetic, progressive, a man of affairs, he was highly respected by the people at large, as well as by his personal friends. Nine children were born to him and his wife; Dora B., deceased; William B.; Alexander R.; George; Lucitta, who married Herbert Mallick, hardware merchant at Pittsburgh; Emma, deceased, who was a teacher in the Kittanning public schools; John; Esther, deceased; and Adella, who married V. Frank Holmes, of Boston.

William B. Daugherty was educated at the public schools of Kittanning, attending until fourteen years old, when he began working in his father's brickyard, subsequently learning the trade of brickmason. Later he engaged in contracting with his father, carrying on an extensive business at Ford City, Falls Creek, Kittanning and other places. The plant of which he is now the principal stockholder and manager is located at Jacob street and Grant avenue, Kittanning, and is a thoroughly modern establishment, equipped with the best line of appliances. A sufficient force of men is kept busy all the while. Like his father, Mr. Daugherty is active in public affairs, has served as a member of the city council, and was school director in 1911.

In February, 1889, Mr. Daugherty was married to Lurania L. Hague, daughter of Frederick Hague, of Kittanning. Two children, Hays R. and George F., have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Daugherty. Mr. Daugherty is a member of Blue Lodge No. 244, F. & A. M., and also belongs to the Kittanning lodge of Elks.

Source: Page(s) 552, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed September 1998 by Connie Mateer for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project