W. D. CUPPS, general farmer of Kiskiminetas township, was born in Apollo, Armstrong county, May 11, 1840, son of Louis B. and Elizabeth (Risher) Cupps.
Louis B. Cupps was a native of Ohio, and came when a boy to Apollo, where he died in 1886. The Methodist Church had in him a faithful member and worker, and he brought up his children in its faith. A Republican, he gave his party his undivided support, and his sons have done the same. Mr. Cupps and his wife had seven children, two of whom survive, W. D. and one daughter.
The maternal grandfather, Daniel Risher, came to Armstrong county in an early day, and was prominently associated with the work of the Methodist Church at Apollo. Both as a class leader and worker for many years he exerted a powerful influence for good, and is still remembered by the older members of the church.
W. D. Cupps attended common school until he attained his majority, and resided with his parents until going into the army. In 1861 he enlisted in Company G, 11th Pennsylvania Reserves, and served three years. His regiment was one of the great fighting regiments of Pennsylvania. In the heat of battle at Fredericksburg, Mr. Cupps was severely wounded in the leg, and a bullet grazed the bridge of his nose; a comrade who saw him, with his face covered with blood, thought that he had lost his nose. Mr. Cupps participated in a number of hard-fought battles, including the second engagement at Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Drainesville, Spottsylvania Court House, the seven days' battle in the Wilderness, and Gettysburg, where his regiment, securely entrenched, poured a deadly fire the ranks of the enemy as they endeavored to scale the breastworks; the regiment lost many men at Gettysburg. At the expiration of his period of service Mr. Cupps was discharged in 1864. Prior to this his regiment had been called to Washington, then to Pittsburgh and he saw a great deal of all sides of army life.
Three years after his return home, Mr. Cupps was married to Jane Anderson. Her father who was a pioneer of Armstrong county, lived near Spring church. Mr. and Mrs. Cupps became the parents of four children, three of whom survive: Olive T., William D. and Anna Bell (who married Charles Ridenhour).
Following his marriage Mr. Cupps rented land for two years, and then bought the seventy-five acres on which he now resides. He has erected a comfortable residence and barn, at a cost of $1,000 each. Politically he is a Republican. For years he has belonged to Whitcomb Post. No. 88, G.A.R. A good farmer, excellent business man and public spirited citizen, Mr. Cupps is considered one of the substantial residents of his section of Armstrong county.
Source: Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed January 2012 by Sara Stewart for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)
Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to the Beers Project
Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project
(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project