J.W. Campbell

line.gif

J. W. CAMPBELL, M. D., of Elderton, Armstrong county, associated in professional practice with Dr. C. E. Keeler, is one of the progressive young physicians of his locality and has already gained a creditable position among his fellow citizens. He was born Jan. 1, 1884, at Atwood, Armstrong county, son of Andrew and Emma (Dull) Campbell, and on the paternal side is of Scotch-Irish descent. His grandfather and father were both natives of Armstrong county.

Andrew Campbell was a farmer in early life, but later became engaged as a builder. He retired from active work in 1912, and is living at Atwood. During the Civil war he served on the Union side in Company B, 139th Pennsylvania Volunteer, under General Sheridan, enlisting Feb. 24, 1864, and receiving his discharge June 27, 1865. He took part in the battles of Winchester, Fisher's Hill, Cedar Creek, Petersburg, Richmond, and in the fighting just preceding Lee's surrender, at which he was present. Mr. Campbell married Emma Dull, daughter of David and Harriet (Adams) Dull, both of whom were of Pennsylvania stock; the Dulls are of Holland extraction. Nine children were born to this marriage, five sons and four daughters, namely: Ida is married to Robert Peterman, a farmer of Five Points, Indiana Co., Pa., and they have three children, two sons and one daughter; Jay, who is engaged as a builder, married Bertie Peterson, of Glassport, Allegheny county, where they live; Harry, a salesman, living at Erie, Pa., married Rosie Hart, and they have one son and one daughter; Doratha married Everett George, of Greenoak, Armstrong county, and they have one child, a son; J. W. is mentioned below; Minnie married Walter Hall, of Vandergrift, Pa., and they have two children, one son and one daughter; Arlie, a farmer, of Plum Creek township, married Grace Penrod, and they have one son; Glenn is unmarried; Alice is the wife of Harry Seger, a farmer at Atwood.

J. W. Campbell received his preparatory education at the Elderton Academy, from which he was graduated in 1904. He took his medical course at Baltimore Medical College, which later became a part of the University of Maryland, graduating in 1909, since when he has been in practice at Elderton. Dr. Campbell attends the Presbyterian Church.

Source: Page 676, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed September 1998 by James R Hindman for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project