DANIEL McKENZIE CAMPBELL

line.gif

DANIEL McKENZIE CAMPBELL, son of Colin and Elizabeth (Lang) Campbell, is associated with some of the leading industrial and financial interests of Leechburg, where he occupies a position of high influence.  He was born April 2, 1861, in Glasgow, Scotland, where he was educated, undergoing the rigorous mental discipline characteristic of Scottish educational institutions.  He took a thorough course in analytical chemistry at Anderson�s College, Glasgow, and remained in his native city until the following year.  In 1883, he came to Pittsburgh, PA, where he took a position as assistant chemist with the Pittsburgh Steel Casting Company, which he held for one year.  He then became chief chemist for Kirkpatrick & Co., Limited, at Leechburg, PA, in which concern his father held a large interest and was then acting as chief superintendent.  After a year here, Mr. Campbell became chief chemist for the nail works and blast furnace of E. & G. Brooke Iron Company at Birdsboro, Berks Co., PA, where he remained four years.  Returning to Leechburg, he assumed the duties of superintendent in the Russia sheet iron department of the plant of Kirkpatrick & co., Limited, and remained with that concern until it disposed of its plant, real estate and good will to the American Sheet Steel Company.  Prior to this time, he, with several others connected with the Kirkpatrick & Co., Limited, organized the West Leechburg Steel & Tim Plate Company, to manufacture strips and bands.  Lately, the firm name has been changed to the West Leechburg Steel Company, consisting of J. W. and J. L. Kirkpatrick, James Lippincott, and D. N. Campbell, all old Kirkpatrick & Co., Limited, employees.  These men are continuing the reputation their fathers established for high business qualities and capacity in the management of large interests.  As treasurer and a heavy stockholder in the West Leechburg Steel Company, Mr. Campbell takes just pride in the modernly equipped establishment which has done much more for Leechburg than affording employment to many of its citizens, for it is one of the substantial concerns whose location here has attracted considerable other capital.  Further, he has given direct proof of his faith in the town by investing heavily in other local institutions, and promoting them whenever his influence is necessary.  He is president of the Farmers� National Bank of Leechburg, and among his outside interests may be mentioned the National Fireproofing Company of Pittsburgh, of which he is a director; he is also a member of the Pittsburgh Stock Exchange.  He is well fitted for responsibilities of an industrial and financial nature, and his practical scientific experience during the earlier years of his business career has proved of inestimable value where judgment must be based on expert knowledge.  His many strong qualities and characteristic strictness in attending to all obligations have made him a trusted leader in all circles into which his activities have drawn him.

As a Mason, Mr. Campbell belongs to the Blue Lodge at Leechburg, chapter at Kittanning and Tancred Commandery, No. 48, K. T., of Pittsburgh.

On Sept. 4, 1895, Mr. Campbell married Margaretta C. Parr, daughter of Col. John G. Parr, a distinguished officer of the Civil War.  Mr. And Mrs. Campbell are members of the Holy Innocents Episcopal Church of Leechburg, of which he is a vestryman and lay reader.  They have four children:  Elizabeth Lang, Donald McKenzie, Alexander McKenzie and Douglas McKenzie.

Source: Page 489-496, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J. H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed September 2001 by Donna Rae Smith for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project