COMPANY E was enlisted at Camp Markle, which was situated on the farm of General Markle, about three miles from West Newton, Westmoreland county, Pa. Some tents had been procured by Captain M. M. Dick, and the company remained there until their ranks were full, their enlistment dating from August 25, 1861. They were partially uniformed while at Camp Markle. On the 3d of September they marched to West Newton, where a large crowd had assembled to witness their departure, and, before leaving. the company was presented with a beautiful flag, and each member with a beautiful needle-case and handsomely bound Bible by the ladies of West Newton. They left West Newton that evening and arrived in Pittsburgh, where they went into Camp Wilkins, and were mustered into the United States service, September 4th, by Captain H. B. Hays, Sixth United States Cavalry. The company numbering one hundred and six men, five had to be sent home, as the complement for a company was one hundred and one. This caused some dissatisfaction, as all were anxious to go. The company left Camp Wilkins September 9th, and arrived in Washington on the 11th, where they joined Colonel Leasure's "Roundhead" Regiment, which then lay at Kalorama Heights. Here they drew Harper's Ferry muskets and clothing.
Some difficulty arising between Colonel Leasure and Captain Dick, the latter withdrew his company from Colonel Leasure's regiment, September 20, 1862, and joined Colonel McKnight's, which was also encamped at Kalorama. Captain Dick being promoted to major, Captain Greenawalt assumed command. On that officer being promoted to major, the command devolved upon Captain Markle when, upon his resignation, Captain D. C. Crawford assumed the command, and was mustered out with the company at the expiration of their term of service.
It was decided, when the company reenlisted December 20, 1863, that the flag which had been presented to them at Camp Markle in 1861, and which had been carefully preserved, should be retained in the company, and that the last veteran of the company discharged should have it. Lieutenant J. M. Shoaf at the request of the company, took charge of the flag. When the time came for them to he mustered out, he called the veterans together, and stated that it was necessary that some disposition be made of the flag, as there were fifteen veterans of the company still in the service, eleven of whom were present. The members present took the flag, but the next day returned it to Lieutenant Shoaf's quarters, with the following statement in writing, the paper having been prepared by Rev. J. C. Truesdale, chaplain of the regiment and signed by the veteran members of the company
"CAMP OF THE 105TH REGIMENT PA VET. VOLS., July 9, 1865"
"We, the undersigned members of Company E, One Hundred and Fifth Regiment Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers, do hereby agree that James M. Shoaf, first lieutenant, and George F. Demick, second lieutenant of this company, shall take charge of, and retain in their possession, the flag presented to the company at the time of its organization, by the ladies of Sewickly, Pa. When this flag was presented to the company it numbered one hundred and two men but now, after four years in camp, on the march, and battlefield, only thirteen of the original number are here to claim the flag. To our two lieutenants, who have shared the toil and peril with us from the first, who have been ever brave in danger and faithful in the discharge of duty, we now, on the eve of retiring to our homes, give this loved and cherished banner in their keeping."
Signed LEWIS DOM, JAMES B. HURST, W.R. CHRISTY, JOHN P. MILLER, JOSHUA FULMER, D.H. GOLD, THOMAS PERKINS, W.J. CRISE
During the entire term of service there were on the rolls of the company one hundred and ninety-three men; of these forty-nine were drafted men and substitutes. They lost twenty-six men killed and died.
This company not being originally raised for the One Hundred and Fifth Regiment, and coming from a locality remote from the other companies, all of which were originally intended for this regiment, it necessarily has a history of its own before it entered the One Hundred and Fifth.
History of the One Hundred and Fifth Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers, page 291-293
Return to 105th Pennsylvania
© 105th PA Volunteers Project